If you are looking for background information on Africa, we have you covered. Throughout this website, you will find extensive Africa Facts and background information regarding a beloved country that needs much more attention. If you are at all interested in knowing about Africa or if you need to research facts on Africa for a report, you will definitely find the information you need here.
Out of the seven continents, Africa is the second-largest. It has an area of 11.7 million square miles. Due to the huge land mass, it is home to many different cultures, climates, wildlife, plants, and more. Africa is so large that it takes up 22% of our planet’s total land mass. Some parts of Africa are amazing to visit; other parts not so much. It is a well known theory that Africa is where most human beings came from in the beginning of time. One of the more interesting Africa facts you will hear is that its’ population surpasses 1 billion. That is more than 3 times as much as the US population!
In Africa, the highest mountain stands at 19,340 feet high and is called Mt Kilimanjaro. This mountain sits just near the equator and is very, very tall. Because of its’ height, glaciers form at the summit of this mountain. Many people have attempted to climb it, yet only two-thirds have succeeded. Africa is home to the world’s largest desert known as the Sahara Desert. It spans over 3.5 million square miles which is almost the size of the United States. In fact, if it wasn’t for Hawaii, the Sahara Desert would be bigger than the US. Cairo is the largest city in Africa and is also the capital of Egypt. Africa is also home to the famous Nile River. It is the longest river in the world (4,132 miles long).
Africa is home to some of the most diverse species of wildlife in the world. Everything from elephants to giraffes to cheetahs to monkeys to snakes live here. Elephants are the largest land animal in the world and are known to be found in most parts of Africa. The world’s fastest land animal, the cheetah, can also be found here. The wildlife here is absolutely beautiful; no country in the world is known to inhabit as many types of species as Africa.
Over the last 60 years, the population in Africa has grown very quickly. It is believed there were around 220 million people during the year 1950. In 2009, it was estimated that the population had grown to 1 billion. Out of this 1 billion, 40% are below the age of 15. No other country in the world even comes close to that. That is bar far one of the most interesting facts about Africa.
Interesting Facts about Africa
Here are some interesting Africa Facts:
- Home to the second largest desert in the world: The Sahara Desert
- Home to the longest river in the world: The Nile River
- Home to the tallest free standing mountain in the world (located on sea level): Mt. Kilimanjaro
- All ten of the poorest countries in the world are located in Africa
- The hottest place in the world is Al’Aziziyah in Libya
- The United States has 1.3 million people living with Aids, sub-Saharan Africa has 23 million
- There are over 2,000 languages spoken in Africa
- More than half of all diamonds in the world come from Africa
- Home to the largest land animal in the world: The African Elephant
- Home to the fastest animal in the world: The Cheetah